The winemaker who is as good in the cellar as she is on a surfboard

Trizanne Barnard is as good on a surfboard as she is in the cellar making Trizanne Signature Wines (TSW). Trizanne_Barnard  Her wines ...

Trizanne Barnard is as good on a surfboard as she is in the cellar making Trizanne Signature Wines (TSW).

Trizanne_Barnard 
Her wines will be showcased at the upcoming Women of Wine South Africa (WoWSA) Festival, which takes place on Sunday, August 12 from 11h00 to 16h00, in celebration of Women’s Month at the Candlewoods Boutique Venue in Centurion, and also features craft beer, gin and spirits made by women.

Tell us a bit about your background?
After graduating from Stellenbosch University with a degree in viticulture and oenology, I worked multiple vintages in Australia, France and Portugal. I then returned home and joined the winemaking team at Klein Constantia. In 2004 I was offered the opportunity of starting Anwilka wines in conjunction with Klein Constantia role-players and Bordeaux winemakers. Those four invaluable years at Anwilka and my international experience gave me the confidence to start my own brand, and in 2008 I went solo with TSW. Since the very first vintage my focus has always been on two very diverse wine regions, namely Elim and the Swartland.

I currently live in Kommetjie, a quaint village on the Southern Peninsula, and make my wines just down the road in Noordhoek. Apart from everything wine-related - making, judging on various panels or just straightforward drinking, I also make time to surf whenever I get the opportunity. I feel that the ocean recharges me and teaches one patience and respect for nature.

Tell us about one or two of your wines that will be shown at WoWSA I’m going to show the Reserve Syrah 2017 – a new vintage release. The 2017 is really elegant – more so than previous years, due to the vintage. So I think it’s a perfect wine to showcase at the WoWSA because of its elegance and femininity. These are two traits we should celebrate as women and be proud of. Also for tasting is the Reserve Sauvignon Semillon.

How will you be spending Women’s Day and what is your wish for women?
I will be surfing in preparation for the Vintners Surf Competition on August 10 and of course spending time with my husband and children. My wish for women is that they have a moment to express themselves just the way they are.

How difficult is it as a woman wine maker in what is still a male dominated industry?
I don’t find it difficult because of it being male dominated – you carve out your little spot under the sun and you stick to your guns and believe in yourself and you work hard.

Do women bring a different touch to winemaking than men?
We bring in a different touch in this world – this extends into winemaking. I believe we bring our own sense of balance.

What do you enjoy about your job?
The versatility of it.

Tell us about your support for Waves for Change
I support this epic organisation because I’m humbled by the people who dedicate their time selflessly in creating better lives for others … and this with the aid of surfing. Simply put, Waves for Change aims to turn previously disused township beaches into hubs for skills training and social justice. We target communities and beaches with no history of ocean or surf culture and develop beachside safe hubs. We train local community members – the first surfers ever to emerge from their communities – to run these hubs and to use surfing to recruit the hardest-to-reach and most vulnerable youth in their communities into programmes that offer extra social, health and educational support.

In addition to the unlimited tastings on offer at WoWSA, guests will have the option of purchasing a wide variety of foods (bring your own blankets and umbrellas) and picnic on the beautiful lawns of Candlewoods Boutique Venue.

There’s everything from mini bunny chows (chicken, lamb, fish, curry and vegetarian) served with sambals; cheese platters; lasagna with salad and paella to a taco station.

All wines at the tasting event will be on offer to purchase and drink with lunch as well as to take home. Wine Menu will deliver purchased wines for a small additional fee.

Music will add to the relaxed atmosphere and there will be entertainment for children.

Numbers are limited so booking is essential. Tickets are R150 a person with children under the age of 18 free. Go to www.webtickets.co.za.




Issued by: JAG COMMUNICATIONS
Pictures: SUPPLIED





©2018 Herman Lintvelt - WineTourismZA 

You Might Also Like

0 comments